Marketing is fun!
That may be an extremely oversimplified explanation of why every company should have a marketing department, but, at the end of the day, marketing is fun because it generates results and is a starting place for stronger relationships.
Here are just a few of the benefits marketing through social media has provided us:
- Commercial kitchen equipment manufacturers have reached out to us to ask us to sell their products. Mostly because they see us advertising others and engaging with their brand.
- Customers have additional ways to contact us for product information, prices, and with any questions. A Facebook message is often easier than an email or a phone call.
- Greater reach. Potential customers engage with our content. Whether it is a like or a share, it allows us to introduce ourselves to a larger audience.
- A greater sense of community. People like Rich Malachy, heads of foodservice magazines, and the manufacturers we represent have contacted us, or I have contacted them, through our social pages. It’s an encouraging way to connect with those in our industry.
How to get started:
- Start small
Having a social presence is important but don’t take on everything at once. Pick a platform, master it, and then expand. I am still learning. And the algorithms for each platform change, often quickly. Start small and keep building on what you learn.
- Have a plan
Creating a plan and vision for what you want the pages to be provides direction about what to post, when to post, and how often.
- Use the right tools
I love Hootsuite, Canva, GIMP, Constant Contact, and Google Ad Words. Hootsuite lets me schedule content for our social pages in advance. I use Canva and GIMP to make the images we post. Constant Contact is what we use to create and schedule email ads and newsletters. Google Ad Words lets us track our progress.
- Don’t get discouraged when results aren’t overnight
It takes time to see results. DEQOnline is not where I want us to be, but we make progress every day. And that’s what’s important. Part of what has enabled us to see progress is consistency. Be consistent and intentional with posts, emails, and the types of marketing you chose.
There is much more that I could say, but I hope this is enough to get you motivated to start your own marketing program! It’s well worth it. You can follow us on any of our pages or sign up for our newsletters and ads to see what I do. I’d love to connect with you as a part of our industry too!